Friday 10 April 2015

Do I love you? (Indeed I do)

YES THE TITLE IS A NORTHERN SOUL TRACK AND THIS IS A POST ABOUT MOTOWN AND SOUL, WHAT OF IT?!?! YOU WANT SOME?!

So you may have seen that I've been doing the Motown posters for quite a while, and even recently I changed them up slightly – but as things normally do, I slightly feel out of love with my previous design. It's not that I didn't like the whole concept but I just kept looking at the poster and nor really looking at it the way I do with my other posters. So I had a little browse around and looked at some of my old posters and saw what I think was the issue—it was just too serious.



To me, Motown and Soul isn't all that serious music, it's a whole world away from Opera and was performed just to get you singing and dancing along with it, as it does for me; whether people appreciate my terrible dancing or not. So I made a note on my sketchbook that read "Needs to be more rough, playful and free" and for me, that was a really good thing to aim for since the designs I've made for the posters are rather rigid and stiff.

Another thing that changed is the background image. From day one Mark had informed me that he would like images of bands and performers of the Motown and Soul era to feature on the poster, but as he is leaving I feel his muse changed, he started spouting made things like "Why not have pictures of swinging legs, that'd look great" and "what about some older people dancing?" Poor man is off his head with freedom.

No, not really; it was a good idea and with a bit of tweaking, I think these little changes and the little drawings and shapes really help this poster cement itself not only into the branding I already created but also the design style that fits well with Motown and Soul posters.

Anyway, if you are still reading – this is one of the favourites that I had designed for the Motown and Soul Night, and I'll keep adding little things like I have with this one to honour the duly missed Mark Howllettnrdgnjsdiwqjnete.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Vincent Walden Sucks