Sunday 15 May 2016

It was the best of times, it was the best of times.

On Friday, I handed in all my work for the last time. It was like removing a knife from my side; sure it's a relief but am I really feeling any better now?

Over the last three years, everything I knew changed and change was just a part of the process. Moving away, moving flats, changing years and building a career. You get used to this process, right until without warning it all comes to a crashing halt.

My crashing halt was when I handed in my green box of work. It was what I can only describe as a previously discarded vegetable delivery box, filled with a green marbled portfolio, gilded pendrive and the occasional prit-stuck business card. Though even without the glitz and glamour, this crappy box full of my work was quite a big deal. Placing that down in it's final resting place, like a lost family pet and the feeling of being hit by the cargo train that is the last three years of my life.

It's a strange notion actively ending something that you've built up for quite a while. The feeling of liberation and nausiating fear is a mixture not to well know for me, but that's exactly what I'm living with right now.

But it's not all doom and gloom, our degree show is roughly two weeks away, I'm attending an exhibition opening with some of my work in it next weeks, I've started a studio with my buddies, I'm off down to London to flog my portfolio in July and I start my first contracted design job days after.

If nothing I've said makes and sense, I think my friend James seemed to sum it all up quite well—
Three years, even longer for some of you, three years we have grown up together. How the heck have we coped? From rubbish projects, making tedious showreel Images that don't get used, to such heights, where people are winning competitions, getting jobs and producing fabulous work. When the tutors haven't helped us, we've helped each other and I can't think of a nicer bunch of people to have spent uni with. Now that we've no more work to do or self reflection forms to fill out. All we have to do is make this exhibition rock! Which I am sure we will.

How I kind of look right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Vincent Walden Sucks