Tuesday 9 September 2014

I do not dread design for Skindred

Early this week I saw that The Brickyard had announced the booking of Skindred, so I messaged Mark straight away and asked whether he had anyone designing the poster as yet. Luckily for me, he hadn't hired anyone for the job just yet, and so I snapped up the opportunity.

I started the design process by looking at the style of the band, and their influences, their previous posters and their self-listed genres. I already knew a little about their style but I realised that they have a range of genres listed, that I was unaware of. So I researched more about the style of design in Metal, Hip-hop, Punk and Reggae; even though I had a good idea about design in some of those genres due to a musical education I have received from my buddy James.

I had received their logo, and their most recent album art work—of which the tour is to celebrate. I firstly played around with those images to get my idea of structure off my sketchbook page and onto my computer. After a short while of trying to incorporate professionally created fonts, I realised it just didn't work and set on to incorporating hand drawn text into the poster because it fits my structure better but also it fit's the genre and style that the band are.

The main styles I wanted to display and include are the colours from the album cover; the colours of the reggae genre, the roughness and hand-made ideology of the punk scene, the darkness and distressed feel of the metal scene and the imagery of the hip-hop genre.

I hope all my ideas are shown present in this.

In the end of the design process; I really like this poster and I have been informed by the bands promoter that the band also do. They have asked me if they can have some prints made of this poster, and I am going to try my best to make a nice set of screen prints for them of this poster.

When they are made, I will update it and show all you lovely people the prints I have made!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Vincent Walden Sucks