Friday 19 December 2014

Watermark

I couldn't think of a punny title, okay!

This post is very overdue and I'm really only posting it now after having a look through my blog and realising it wasn't actually there; anyway here goes.

Recently I, along with the rest of the designers in my year group, were asked to all submit entries to compete to have the chance to design a 'magloid' for Keswick's Lit Festival. We were all in competition with each other and we had just over two weeks to produce our proposals for the design on the 'magloid'.

If you are unaware of what a Magloid is – as I was on starting this brief – it's basically a crossover of a magazine and a tabloid, as the name would suggest. And I'm not sure if it's a specific size, but we had very strict guidelines for it's size.

The festival in Keswick is called Watermark and I believe it's hosted by a group named Words on the Water but there are so many trademarks and names for this I honestly have very little idea of what is what.

For the publication, I came up with an idea almost straight away. I wanted to make an old school 3D effect for the magloid, but I decided with would be too much of a hassle and a little inappropriate. So from there I decided I'd go have browse of the library and I came across the idea that Sagmeister did for his book, where he used coloured films to blank out areas in images to produced a juxtaposition image after the overlay.




I feel that the images don't really show what I was trying to show the effect I was trying to make but I think it worked really well and I was really happy with it. We were told we would be informed on who has won and who's designs will be chosen for the final product, but we are yet to hear, so I'll pop up my work and I'll update this if by any chance I'm the one who's selected.





By the way, the images are just placeholders.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks really good man from Josh :)

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Vincent Walden Sucks