Saturday 5 July 2014

Motown & Soul night at The Brickyard (for the second time)

Second post of the day, oh it's my second post of the day. Goodness I'm sad.

Once again you may notice by the title that I have designed for the Motown & Soul Night at The Brickyard, and this time I think I may have created a strong style for it.

I once again looked at my inspiration and figured out where I wanted to go with it, trying the same style as the previous poster but I created a new one that I feel doesn't directly link to every poster of the Motown era but it certainly grabs your attention and transfers all the information that is needed whilst giving you a subtle hint of the posters of the era.

I found myself a great photo of a young Stevie Wonder and started to structure my type around it, which once I found the correct font it all started to fall into place and look really nice, really nice indeed.
I started making the poster with quite pastel like colours that faded into the monochrome image in the background but after some 'back and forth crits' via email with Mark, we decided the colours needed to be brighter after comments and ideas from people who attended the event last time.

After a bit of tweaking, vibrancy changes and roughing up we reached a point where we were both happy.
With this poster I feel I could of made it more traditional and fit the genre more by making the poster just like what they had back in the day, but that's not what the client or his clients want. We were told bright and bold and slightly like the posters of the past so that what I've tried to do right here.

As a final comment, I'd like to say that I really enjoy doing these and if you ever get to do design for The Brickyard, make sure you take it because Mark is a pleasure to work with. Not only that the client is very thoughtful and has lots of set information and idea, it is a huge opportunity to get noticed and practice through quiet times (summer holidays).

I'm hoping to make this a running style and build a constant character for the future Motown & Soul posters.

Thanks again Mark!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Vincent Walden Sucks